Why MBA?

Why MBA? Do I really need it? Why should I give up job I like and money I have? For what – job uncertainty and probably (based on stats) similar money post-MBA? Where is the deal for me in the whole MBA thing?

These are questions that I used to have and, to be honest, I still have. We all know that "why MBA?" part in our essays is a bit idealistic. In reality many candidates have serious doubts about an MBA concept. I used to think that if I get accepted by any of M7 schools, all my doubts will disappear. And they did... for few days. Then I thought that if I get accepted by HSW, this will be totally different story. And it was... for few weeks. Then I thought that if I get into H/S, all will become clear & easy. And it became... for a month or so.

And even though I still have my doubts, yesterday I got some more clarity. CNN showed a program on job search during global crisis. There was this former General Manager of some consumer goods business - he seemed to be quite an accomplished executive who recently had to leave his job. He said that all those years he spent on developing and building brands – the core value of a business. Only now, though, did he realize that being an employee is about branding yourself. It is about identifying your core values, your key strengths and your competitive edge.

And then I thought that an MBA (especially from a top school) will help me greatly in creating my brand value – something that will be defining me for next 30-40 years. In the world full of employees willing to succeed, only the best "brands" will win. One way to distinguish myself is through an MBA. I do realize that I will not be the one and only in the world with such an "edge", but my competition will decrease dramatically – from millions to few thousands. And when competition goes down, my chances go up.

So... why do you need an MBA?

1 comments:

Josh Hohman said...

I just wanted to drop you a line and tell you that I enjoy your blog, and wish you the best of luck with your MBA experience. I was in your shoes a few years ago, and can tell you that the Stanford GSB was two of the best years of my life (the application process, not so much, but that’s another story…)

Anyway, I know how stressful the application process can be, and since a lot of your readers are in the process of applying to business school, I thought I might be able to help you provide a valuable resource to your loyal readers.

I’d like to send you a copy of my complete applications for 5 top MBA programs (for free, seriously). Then, if you think your readers might like it as well, I’ll provide a link you can post on your blog so your readers can grab their copy as well.

If you're interested, drop me an email at josh.hohman@gmail.com, and I'll have a preview copy of my application materials emailed to you ASAP, so you can check it out and make sure it's something you'd feel comfortable giving away to your readers.

Sincerely,
Josh Hohman

Post a Comment